Fear is a big block when it comes to writing, and rewriting a novel/la is a substantial task, one that can certainly instill a bit of fear in the writer.
So when I had to start my rewrite of Mocha Nihilism, I cheated. Once more, I played a trick on my brain.
In order to overcome my fear, I pretended that I was going to be a lazy rewriter. I copy/pasted the first scene into a new doc and tidied it up. I no longer had the fear because hey, look at that! It didn’t take too long to get that first scene into shape after all.
Then when I launched into the second scene, I started fresh. I kept my first draft open, but wrote everything new. I cut out a couple of scenes entirely, am strengthening the different threads of the novella and it feels like it’s coming together pretty well. What’s more – it’s coming easily. I’m really enjoying figuring out what’s important and what isn’t, and then finding ways to insert the necessary info from cut scenes into the new ones.
When I’m done, I’ll go back and rewrite the first scene so that it’s fresh too. It’s important to do so because otherwise it won’t properly tie into the rest of the novella – I only took the easy path to convince my brain that the task wasn’t too difficult.
And it worked.